Midnight Miracles

    Disclaimer: If I owned them we wouldn't need to work so hard to get our opinion's across. Tom, Ken, NBC, and Sony have the pleasure of owning these fine people.

    Author's Notes: Part of a contest. Starts off at the party for Hope and let's pretend that it takes place three days before Christmas. Please remember that in all of my stories, Greta is John's daughter. I like to use her in these because she has no story on the show. Also, in my story there is no Princess Gina thing. Rolf could not finish because of another disaster taking place outside. Also, by this point Craig and Nancy have gone home from the party.

    Summary: Brady and Chloe experience a miracle at midnight.

    *****

    Brady and Chloe were dancing the night away. They were friends and they were having a great time together. Earlier in the night, during a particularly romantic song, they stopped dancing to look at each other. Feeling so at ease, Chloe rested her head on Brady's chest, listening to the comforting beat of his heart.

    The song ended and she looked up at him. "It's a little warm in here."

    "Want to go for a walk?"

    "Sure," she said, taking his offered arm. Going out the doors, she shivered.

    "You're cold now," he chuckled. "Want to go back in?"

    "No, no. It's a nice night."

    He removed his jacket and placed it over he shoulders. She put her arms though the sleeves and smiled at him.

    "Thank you, Brady."

    From a few feet away Philip ran towards Chloe, seeing Brady's hands on her shoulders and seething. The guards were tailing right after him, their guns drawn.

    "Chloe!" He ran towards her as fast as his scrawny legs would carry him. The guards yelled for him to stop. From inside a few people heard the commotion and were starting to come out. Philip ran right in front of Brady and Chloe saw the guards with their guns and stepped in front of Brady just as they shot. Chloe turned and looked at Brady. Shock, fear, and urgency were all in her eyes. Anyone who had heard anything before did now, and all of Lexie's guests were outside, watching Brady gently hold Chloe as she began to fall. He carried her in his strong arms and knelt in the snow.

    "Chloe."

    "Brady, it hurts," she weakly told him.

    "I know, I know. You'll be fine, though," he smiled. He looked down at where the bullet had hit. A crimson color washed the white snow and the wound in Chloe stomach was like a broken damn. Brady placed his hand there to stop the blood from flowing. His Diva. She didn't know what he felt for her, but he was not going to let her bleed to death in front of a crowd of people.

    "An ambulance has been called," Greta announced.

    "Abe, I suggest you arrest these two guards, and young, Mr. Kiriakis," John said.

    "Me, why me? I didn't do anything," Philip tried to get down towards Chloe. Shawn pulled him away.

    "You shouldn't have come here, man. You could have come invited but you chose not to. Now your obsession has Chloe hurt," Shawn told him.

    "I'm sorry, Chloe. I did it because I love you," Philip said for the millionth time.

    Chloe didn't notice, her eyes were locked into Brady's equally as intense, baby blues.

    "You know, Chloe, I got shot in the exact same place. I'm fine. We'll have matching scars. It'll be something fun to tell your future grandchildren. You and your best friend have matching gun shot wounds," Brady laughed. Chloe could tell her was scared for her. She weakly brought her hand to his cheek.

    "I'm sorry, I haven't told you just what you mean to me. This entire time you've put up with so much from me. I've taken you for granted Brady."

    "I told you, Chloe. I don't remember my life before you. And I'm a better person for having you in my life."

    "I'm cold, Brady."

    "We'll, you're outside in the snow."

    "No, no, it's something else. I can feel it."

    "Save your strength, Chloe."

    "Hold me, Brady. Talk to me," she pleaded. He took her hand in his.

    Brady knew Chloe believed herself to be dying. He began to sing to her, through his own tears,

    "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
    Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
    Brown paper packages tied up with strings
    These are a few of my favorite things..."

    She sang with him,

    "Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
    Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
    Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
    These are a few of my favorite things..."

    They sang the next verse together, all the while she used up all the strength she had to smile at him,

    "Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
    Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
    Silver white winters that melt into springs
    These are a few of my favorite things..."

    The last line was sung and Chloe smiled at Brady before closing her eyes, her lifeless hand going limp in his strong grasp. The paramedics ran up to where everyone was gathered.

    "She's got a pulse," one of them announced. Brady looked up at them, a smile coming onto his tear stained face. He was still holding her hand.

    "We have to get her to the hospital as soon as possible," the other said as they laid Chloe on a stretcher. She still wore Brady's coat and he still held onto her hand.

    "Son, why don't I go with Chloe and Marlena can drive you," John suggested.

    Brady didn't pay attention and hopped in the ambulance with Chloe.

    John called Craig and Nancy and everyone headed to the hospital.

    In the ambulance Brady held Chloe's hand and kept his face as close to hers as possible.

    "I love you, Chloe. Don't leave me before we get started," he told her softly.

    At the hospital Brady watched the doctors as they worked on Chloe, trying to get some signs of life out of her. Brady's sleeves were rolled up just below his elbows, his shirt stained with her blood.

    Craig and Nancy had come as soon as they were called. Craig had the hospitals very best doctors with Chloe. John, Marlena, Belle, Shawn, Bo, Hope, and Greta had all arrived. Victor was on his way to the police station where Philip was being held for trespassing.

    Brady stared into the window of the room where the doctors were running back and forth, trying to get the blood to stop.

    About an hour after bringing her in, she was taken to surgery to repair the bleeding. In that entire time Brady neither spoke or looked at anyone. Almost as though he himself were as lifeless as Chloe's delicate hand had been.

    Fours later, ever person still there and still in formal wear, Chloe was out of surgery. Doctor Murphy emerged from the OR.

    "She lost a lot of blood. We fixed that up. We closed up the wound and prevented any infection. She's not awake though. She's slipped into a coma. We have no way of telling how deep or how long. We just need to wait for Christmas Eve. If she doesn't wake up by then, she may never come back."

    Nancy began to cry, "Can I see her?"

    "Of course, Mrs. Wesley. Dr. Wesley," Colin nodded them in.

    After visiting with Chloe Nancy turned to Brady.

    "You should go in with her," Nancy told him.

    Brady walked in and sat next to Chloe. He took her hand in his again.

    "Hey, Chloe. Listen, the doctor said that if you don't wake up in time for Christmas, that you might not come back to me. So, you have to come back. I mean, this can't be so bad. You'll sleep through all that time you'll have to wait until Christmas gets here. You can wake up and the very next morning you get to open some new presents."

    Chloe looked down at Brady. She didn't understand it, but she was floating and wearing white.

    "I can't be dead," she said. "Brady! Brady!"

    It was useless to yell. He was holding her hand. He thought she was down there, still in her body.

    "I can't be dead," she reiterated.

    "No, you're not dead," a woman's voice answered. Chloe was approached by a woman in white. A beautiful, familiar looking woman.

    "Who are you?"

    "I'm going to help you. I'm here to see if you deserve a second chance at life."

    Brady sat with Chloe the entire night and well into the day, never leaving, his hand never letting go of hers, always talking to her.

    "I got you a Christmas present, Chloe. It's the first one I've ever gotten for you. I'm proud of it. So, you have to come back, that way you can see it. Please, Chloe. If you never do anything for me again, please wake up. I love you, Chloe. I need you to be awake to hear me say it."

    "I'm trying, Brady. I really am. That woman just has to come back so I can get my second chance."

    As if she had been paged, the woman in white returned.

    "Good morning, Chloe."

    "Not really. Are you dead?"

    ‘Yes, I am. I'm here to be your guide. I'm going to help you, see if you can realize what needs to be done to fix your life so that you can return to it. If you deserve to, that is."

    "Why do you say I may not deserve it?"

    "Well, I have to see if you're going to use your full potential. Realize what is needed in order to make your life full."

    "I'm seventeen. Shouldn't I have more time to realize those things? I haven't even graduated high school."

    "Under normal circumstances, yes. But, we know how confused you've been lately. We also know that deep down in your heart you know what the right decision to make is. You have been given a beautiful gift and we know that you are aware of it. My job is to make sure you'll use it properly. Treat it with care."

    "What is this gift? My singing?"

    "We'll find out."

    "Who are ‘we', anyway?"

    "That isn't important, Chloe. Tell me, what do you want out of life?"

    "I want to be an opera singer."

    "Chloe, what do you want out of life? What do you desire more than anything? What do you crave so much that once you've had a taste, you'll never overcome the addiction?"

    Chloe looked down at her limp form on the hospital bed, hooked up to various machines and tubes. She looked at her hand, held securely by Brady's. He was still awake. No longer talking, just sitting with her. His eyes were red from exhaustion and tears. He hadn't allowed anyone to see the tears. They fell when it was just he and Chloe.

    "I want to be loved and in love."

    "Were you loved and in love with Philip?"

    "I don't know."

    "Are you sure?"

    "Philip, he told me he loved me so many times. Almost like it was the easiest thing in the world. I always wonder if there's something wrong with me since I can't say it back."

    "Did you ever think maybe you can't say it because you don't feel it?"

    "Philip made me feel special. When he and I started going out people stopped calling me names. I felt accepted. But I started to not feel like myself. When I was in the foster homes I was my own person. I knew what I liked and what I wanted to do in my life. I guess I'm glad Philip and I broke up. I was so busy with him I lost myself."

    "Have you found yourself again?"

    "I think I'm on the way?"

    "When did that start?"

    "When Philip and I broke up. He wasn't there and I didn't have to worry about making him mad."

    "Why would he get mad?"

    "He got jealous a lot. He liked to have me to himself. Almost like I was his trophy girlfriend."

    "What made you go out with Philip?"

    "He was the first boy that ever asked me. It was all a bet though. One that he lost. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't gone, or if I hadn't worn the red dress to the Last Blast Dance."

    "What do you think would have happened?"

    "I think that I would have kept on singing. I wouldn't have gotten so distracted."

    "How do you feel about Philip now?"

    "Relieved. At least sometimes. Sometimes I feel like I need to see him because he was my first boyfriend, my first kiss. I at least owe him that."

    "Do you think love should be an obligation?"

    "I guess not."

    "You guess not?"

    "No, no, love should only be given because you want to. Not because you're afraid the other person might hurt you if you leave them."

    "So, your relationship with Philip is over?"

    "Yeah, it is. I just needed some time."

    "Philip turned your head."

    "I loved the idea of being loved by Philip."

    "It's to be expected. You were alone for so much of your life. A popular boy gives you some of his time, you're bound feel something. It's all part of growing up."

    "Thanks."

    "What about your parents?"

    "Nancy?"

    "Yes, her. And Craig."

    "Nancy's okay."

    "Just okay?"

    "She made a mistake. I know that. She abandoned me and I was alone for so long. I'm just still feeling a little...alone. That's probably why I went to Philip. He paid attention to me. At least I thought he did."

    "Nancy loves you dearly."

    "Why won't she tell me who my father is then?"

    "She has a lot that she feels you aren't ready to take in. I'm not so sure you are either. But trust me, when you are ready, Nancy will tell you. Right now she and Craig are just trying to get to know you and build your family."

    Chloe turned to ask another question, but she was gone. She looked down at Brady and watched him.

    Chloe watched Brady hold vigil.

    "Chloe, do you remember when we were sitting in the movie theater and I told you I didn't remember my life before you? It's because I didn't want to. I blocked everything out until you cam into my life. I was miserable and then I met you and there was someone in this world who thought the same way I did. I started wanting to smile again. You made me smile, Diva."

    That night came, Christmas Eve night. Brady had spent two days at Chloe's bed side. She had watched people come and go, weep over her. Never once did Brady let go of her hand. She was sure that if she did wake up that their fingerprints would be imprinted on each other. She could see the look in his eyes. He was desperate. That day he spent the entire time talking to her. Doctor Murphy had said if she didn't wake up today, she might never. Brady knew this was important, so he kept talking except when she had visitors.

    Once during the day Philip had tried to come in and bring her flowers. Brady didn't even have to look at him because Craig had security get rid of Philip before Brady could even see him. Chloe saw it though. She'd spent the entire time watching Brady watch her. To say the least, and probably unnecessarily, it was a surreal experience for her. One she was sure, providing she came out of her coma, she would never forget.

    The entire day she got to thinking about Brady. Philip had always liked her to wear make-up, especially eyeshadow. He said it brought out the blue in her eyes. Brady didn't care. Even watching her in a hospital gown, no make-up, looking pale and sickly, he was still telling her he loved her. All she could do, all day long, was think about what a great man it was that wanted her back so badly. Not just her body, which he was holding onto for dear life, but her soul, which was watching him. She was sure he knew she would wake up. He had told her a hundred times that day. Maybe he knew she was there. Maybe he could tell she was talking to him. Could their souls be that intertwined?

    Thirty minutes until midnight, nearly Christmas. Chloe had thirty minutes until modern medicine dictated she should be dead and gone. She was going stir crazy. Just when she though she couldn't take it anymore, the woman appeared.

    "Merry Christmas," she greeted Chloe.

    "Will it be?"

    "We'll find out tonight. What did you do today?"

    "Are you asking that just to be nice?"

    "I want to know that you did today."

    "I watched Brady and I thought."

    "What did you think about?"

    "Brady."

    "What about him?"

    "He's the greatest person I have ever met. He keeps saying he loves me. He wants me to wake up so he can tell me and I'll hear it. If I wake up I'll have to tell him I was watching him the entire time."

    "Well, we know what you feel about Philip, what else about Brady?"

    "He's the only man I've ever completely trusted. Actually, the only person I've ever trusted. I don't know. He and I seem to have this connection where I can tell him anything and I know he'll still accept me for who I am. For the first time since I moved to Salem, this summer I felt like myself when I was with him. I've never been so comfortable with a person. And lately I've had this overwhelming desire to make him proud. I feel like I need to deserve his friendship. I guess it's because I'm so in love with him. I mean, sometimes I feel like I mess up so much and hurt him. I never mean to, but I've never felt that kind of guilt."

    "Did you hear what you just said, Chloe?"

    "Yes, I feel guilty."

    "Before that?"

    "I don't deserve his friendship?"

    "After that?"

    "What?"

    "You said you were in love with Brady."

    "Did I?"

    "Did you mean it?"

    "I wouldn't have said it if I didn't. Wow, it came so easily too. I'm head over heels in love with Brady Victor Black." A smile spread across Chloe's face.

    "Good to hear. When did you realize this?"

    "About a minute ago. Better late than never. I hope."

    "Who knows?"

    "You're doing this just to toy with me aren't you?"

    "Have these feelings for Brady just now surfaced, or have they been there?"

    Chloe looked down at Brady and smiled. "They've been there. I told Philip once that I was afraid to say I love you because whenever I did I ended up alone. He ended up leaving me even though I didn't say it. Brady's been so patient with me the entire time I was confused over Philip. How could I not love him? He puts up with so much. Brady knows me. He knows how to act around me if I'm in one of my moods. He knows everything about me and he's the first person I've let completely in. Well, not completely in. He doesn't know how much I love him."

    "Do you want the chance to tell him that?"

    "Yes."

    "Chloe, if you had to choose to either sing on the world's greatest stages, or to live a happy and loving life with Brady-," the angel was interrupted.

    "Brady. Nothing means anything if he isn't there. My life just started to begin when I met him. You know what I just noticed?"

    "What's that, dear?"

    "That I've always referred to Philip as a boy and Brady as a man. Maybe it's because Brady treats me like a grown man should treat a girl."

    "Do you see yourself as a girl or as a woman?"

    "Brady makes me feel like an equal. So, I see myself as a woman."

    "Do you think if your life were to continue you'd be able to be happy with Brady, never have any doubts about your commitment to him?"

    "I know deep in my heart that I could never think anything bad about Brady. I want to go through life with him walking beside me, holding my hand like he is now. I just have to know if he feels the same. If he tells me he's in love with me, like I am with him, I'll never doubt that. I'll believe him because he's never lied to me."

    "You would have a full and happy life with my son." "Your son?" Chloe thought for a few seconds while she studied the woman's features. "I knew you looked familiar. Mrs. Black, why didn't you say anything?"

    "Isabella, dear, I didn't say because I needed your complete and honest thoughts. Be happy with Brady. You both deserve it," Isabella hugged Chloe and disappeared.

    Chloe looked down at herself and Brady, then saw darkness. Through the darkness she saw amazing things. She saw Brady, she saw their dates, their wedding, their children, grandchildren, everything was there and her life was complete. Then the darkness returned. She wondered if she were dead and was being shown what could have been, since there was no light. Then she heard his voice.

    "Come on, Chloe. Just a minute left until midnight, Christmas. Please come back me, Diva. I need to tell you how in love with you I am."

    The clock struck midnight and Chloe gripped Brady's hand and her eyes fluttered open.

    "Brady," she whispered hoarsely.

    "Chloe?" His reddened eyes gazed into her blue ones. He brought his other hand t hers so that both of his were holding her one. He kissed her hand and looked at her.

    "Brady?"

    "Don't, don't talk, save your strength, Chloe."

    "No, Brady, I have to tell you something. I talked to your mother," she began.

    "What? Chloe, my mom's dead."

    "I know. I've been watching you. She and I have been talking. I know it's weird, Brady, but you have to believe me. She and I talked a lot and she helped me realize something very important."

    "I believe you, what did you realize, Chloe?"

    "I'm head over heels in love with you."

    "What?"

    "I, Chloe Lane, am in love with you, your large ego and thick headed skull included," she grinned.

    Brady smiled and laughed, relieved. "I'm so in love with you, Diva. I have been."

    He leaned in and kissed her, romantic and sweet, but intense and full of love and passion. She returned the kiss with equal the emotion, because they were equals.

    The nurse approached them when she saw Chloe awake and she Brady kissing.

    "Well, well, look who's awake in time for Christmas."

    "Hi," Chloe smiled.

    "Merry Christmas. I'll call your doctor in."

    "And my parents too," Chloe requested.

    "I'll do that," the nurse replied.

    She left them alone.

    "Brady, you should go home and take a shower and change. You've been wearing the same thing since I got here. Your shirt has blood on it."

    "I don't care."

    "Brady, there's something I don't care about, but you have to know. It's weird that I don't care about, but I have such a feeling of relief and happiness over me right now."

    "What is it, Chloe? I love you, you can tell me anything."

    "I love you, Brady. I really do. I, um, I can't feel my legs."

    Yeah, that's really the END

morganrosella@hotmail.com

This site is Copyright © 2001. It is in no way whatsoever affiliated with Kyle Lowder, Nadia Bjorlin, Days of Our Lives, or NBC. It is meant for pure entertainment.