Taste

    Disclaimer: Tom, Ken, NBC, and Sony, as always.

    Author's Notes: Takes place before the teens leave for Puerto Rico and after. And in this Greta is John's daughter because that expands the Black family, which I like. They've known for about a year. At this point Chloe and Brady are just friends and she and Philip have broken up. She and Brady became friends after the dance and are still hanging out before the teens go away.

    Summary: Brady and Chloe on an island.

    *****

    Belle, Shawn, and the others would be heading for Puerto Rico in two days. With the exception of packing tomorrow, Belle and Shawn decided they would spend the days relaxing and being with their family. And the one friend that was not going on the trip.

    In the Penthouse living room Brady sat reading the paper, Shawn watched TV, and Chloe braided Belle's hair as she read the latest Cosmo.

    "You got your big G's, I got my hash pipe," Belle sang. "Hey, what's a hash pipe?"

    The three others in the room looked at her and smiled at her.

    "What, is it like some big secret that I'm not supposed to know what a hash pipe is?"

    "It's a device used for the consumption of marijuana," Marlena explained as she descended down the staircase, picking up her purse. "And you are never to come into contact with one, ever. Now, I have some errands to run, so I'll be back in a few hours.

    "Why am I the only person who didn't know what a hash pipe was?"

    "Because, you're the sweet, innocent Tink that we know and love and hope never changes," Brady answered, not looking up from his paper.

    "I can't believe you guys are going to be gone all summer," Chloe thought aloud.

    "You and Brady can hang out," Belle offered.

    "Sure, leave me with the Diva all summer. You know what attitudes they get," Brady joked.

    "As opposed to you, who's over confident," she joked right back at him, smiling at one another.

    "I still wish you were coming, Chloe," Belle mused. "It's going to be so much fun. All that time at the beach."

    "It's an educational trip, Belle. I think you're going to be learning through most of it," Brady explained.

    "Still, it'll be fun," Belle defended herself.

    The day if their departure arrived and the airport was filled with family members. Saying goodbye to Shawn and Belle alone was almost an entire entourage. Sami had brought Austin and Will, Greta had come to say goodbye to her new sister, Bo and Hope and brought along J.T., and Chloe had driven in with Brady.

    Greta noticed Austin off to the side, staying away from the family affair. She still wasn't entirely comfortable with her new family, but they were all trying their hardest. Seeing him, she stood next to him.

    "You don't seem all that happy to be here," she guessed.

    "Yeah, well. Will wanted me to come."

    "And Sami."

    "And Sami."

    "What's going on, Austin?"

    "It's nothing."

    "Austin, we went through a lot together, you can tell me anything. You know you can trust me."

    "I can, I know that."

    "So, spill, what's going on? You and Sami have been so happy. She practically picking out China patterns."

    "Not anymore. She might want to start making those decisions with Brandon."

    "Why? What's Brandon got to do with anything?"

    "I found them together."

    "You mean together, together?"

    "In our bed. I found them in our bed. We're over. I moved out, I'm just here for Will's sake."

    "I'm so sorry, Austin. I had no idea."

    "I haven't told anyone. So, if you don't mind..."

    "My lips are sealed."

    "Thanks, Greta."

    "How about we have dinner tonight. You and me, friends, just spending time together. Like we used to."

    "That sounds good. Thanks, Greta."

    The plane took off and the families were left standing at the window.

    "Son, Greta, Marlena and I are going to go run some errands. Brady, we'll see you at the house later?"

    "Yeah, bye, dad. Bye, Marlena."

    "Goodbye," Chloe said.

    John and Marlena left and Sami and Will approached Austin.

    "Let's go to the park," Will asked.

    "You know what, Buddy? I made some plans with my friend Greta. But, tomorrow I'll come pick you up and we'll go to the park, just you and me," Austin glared at Sami.

    "Say goodbye, Will," Sami told him.

    "Bye, I love you," Will hugged Austin's leg. Sami picked him up and the two of them left.

    "Brady, Chloe, why don't you join Greta and me?"

    "Yeah, that's a great idea," Greta agreed.

    "Yeah, if it's okay with Chloe."

    "Sure," Chloe answered.

    "Great, I'm starving," Brady whined.

    "What's new," Chloe retorted.

    "See, there's that Diva attitude. I told Belle," he teased.

    "You guys bicker like a married couple," Greta laughed.

    Within half an hour the four of them were sitting in the Brady pub, eating.

    "You know, Belle's having a big party when they all get back," Brady announced. "She's making me go."

    "Yeah, she's trying to make me go too," Chloe told them.

    "You're not going? Why not?" Greta took a bite of her salad.

    "I have a bad track record with parties. I'm going to avoid them for a while."

    "It can't be that bad," Austin tried to smooth it over.

    "Well, first Last Blast Dance I went to, Jason and Jan tried to pull a Carrie on me and got Philip instead. Who only took me to on a bet. Then, there's your coronation, Greta. Ended in a massacre. Granted that had nothing to do with me, but it was still a disaster I'd have preferred to avoid. Then, this year's Last Blast Dance. The entire school has now seen me naked thanks to Jan and Mimi. And I lost Philip that night too. I still can't believe the things he said to me," she noticed the look on Austin's face. "Sorry, he's your brother, I shouldn't have said anything."

    "I don't even know what happened that night, Chloe. I hardly ever see Philip."

    "I don't think that should stop you from enjoying your senior year, Chloe," Greta said.

    "I'll be there, Diva. You can keep me company. We'll be outcasts together."

    "I don't know..."

    "Think of the look on Belle's face when you don't show up. You and I will just hang out in the back making fun of everyone else."

    "Fine, fine, I'll go," she conceded.

    After lunch she and Brady took a long walk.

    The rest of the summer went by quickly. Chloe and Brady spent the entire time together. He took her bowling, they sang in the park, did everything together. They'd taken to hanging out with Greta and Austin a lot too. One afternoon at the penthouse Austin and Greta came by to pick up Brady and Chloe for lunch. As the three others waited for Greta while she was in the bathroom, the phone rang.

    "Hello," Brady answered. His face went pale as he listened in. "Thank, I'll let them know."

    "Who was it Brady?" Chloe stood next to him.

    "There's a hurricane on the island where Belle is. The students were evacuated, but three of them are missing."

    "What three?" Chloe feared she knew the answer.

    "Belle, Shawn, and Philip," he answered. "I have to call dad and Marlena."

    When John and Marlena came home it was decided that rather than sit and do nothing, they were all heading to Puerto Rico to look for their loved ones. Chloe said goodbye to Nancy and Craig and boarded the plane, sitting next to Brady.

    She looked at him. He was so worried. It showed on his face. Seeing him she felt concern for him, she wanted to take care of him. He'd become so important to her that summer. She slipped her hand in his, lacing their fingers together.

    "They'll be fine," she tried to reassure him.

    He looked at her. If he didn't know any better, he would have thought he saw love in her eyes.

    "They're strong. Shawn, Belle. Even Philip, despite his being a moronic twit," Brady agreed with her. She laughed at his name for Philip.

    Seated adjacent to them were Greta and Austin, also holding hands. Greta looked at Brady and Chloe's hands together and smiled.

    "It's only a matter of time," she said softly.

    Brady stood and went to talk to his father. Seeing her opportunity, Greta went and sat next to Chloe.

    "How are you?"

    "I'm worried about Belle and Shawn. Except for Brady, they're my best friends."

    "You know, Belle and Brady and I haven't known of our relationship for all that long. But I already feel very close to them. They're a good family and now that I've gained that part of my life, it would be devastating to lose it. What about Philip?"

    "Well, I hope he's okay. He and I were together for a year. But it's hard to forget what he said. I don't love him, but I care about him."

    "What about Brady?"

    "What about him?"

    "You two seem like you're awfully close."

    "He's my best friend."

    "That may be. But I've seen the way he looks at you. And I've seen the way you look at him. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Even if you two haven't yet, you will. It's only a matter of time."

    "That's ridiculous," Chloe scoffed. "He's such a good friend. He's so special to me."

    "All the more reason," Greta said standing up when she saw Brady coming back to his seat. He took Chloe's hand in his, again, and she rested her head on his shoulder. She fell asleep for the rest of the plane ride like in that same position.

    They entered the hotel to find Victor, Kate, and Nicole had already arrived. The rest of the Salem High students were milling about nervously. Half because of the storm, half because of worry for their friends. The Black's graciously offered to pay for Chloe's room, which was located right next to Brady's. While unpacking the few things she had brought with her, someone knocked on the door.

    She opened to find Brady standing there, his hands in his pockets.

    "Hey," she greeted him. She stepped aside to let him come in. He silently entered and sat on her bed. "How are you?"

    "I'm okay."

    "Brady, it's me you're talking to. How are you?"

    "I'm scared," he admitted. He knew deep down that Chloe was someone he could trust and that she'd understand what he was feeling.

    "You're wrong. It does help. I know you'd never lie to me. Thank you, Chloe. I don't know what I'd do without you."

    "I know the feeling," she smiled.

    "You know, I lost my mom and if I lost Belle, I don't know how I'd go on."

    "Brady, don't even think like that. Belle is going to come home all in one piece."

    "Thanks, Chloe," he took her hand in his. He looked into her eyes. I could get lost in them, he thought.

    He has the most sincere eyes, she thought. He doesn't want it seen, but they're very loving.

    They both stared for a while, neither minding one bit. They found comfort in each other's eyes.

    Brady cleared his throat and broke their reverie, looking towards the door, "we should probably go see what's going on down there."

    They arrived downstairs to find John, Marlena, Victor, and Kate in a heavy discussion with Mr. Woods and Ms. Perez. Brady approached them so he could hear their conversation, thus letting go of Chloe's hand, which he'd been holding since they left her room. Chloe, deciding that the family needed to be together, went and sat at a table near the bar and ordered a Coke.

    She sat with her thoughts for a few minutes. Something had dawned on her and she needed to talk about it with someone. Her wish was granted and Greta sat in the chair next to her.

    "What's going on?"

    "Brady and Mr. Black and Dr. Evans are talking to Mr. Woods and Ms. Perez. They're trying to find out exactly what happened," Chloe explained.

    "I saw you and Brady walk in."

    "You're not going to stop until I tell you something, are you?"

    "Afraid not," Greta grinned.

    "Fine. I need someone to talk about this with. Belle's not here and I don't think I'd want to share this with her yet."

    "Chloe, if you don't want to talk, I'm not pushing you. Just know that I do consider you my friend and Brady hasn't been my brother all that long, but I think you two would be good for each other."

    "I do need to talk to someone. I'm going to burst if I don't. And I trust you."

    "So, spill."

    "Well, I was getting settled into my room and he came in. We were talking about Belle and how strong she is. And we just stopped talking and looked at each other. We didn't even realize we were staring but it was so surreal, like the world stopped and looking at him I knew everything would be okay."

    "Are you in love with him?"

    "I don't know. But I'm starting to think that friendship isn't the only thing between us."

    "I've been telling you this for a while. Plus, I know a few other people who see it too."

    "Has it been that obvious?"

    "Yeah. What about Philip?"

    "Philip and I are over. Things were starting to fall apart. For months. It's just, I felt obligated to him. He was my first boyfriend, the first boy I ever kissed. I couldn't trust him anymore. I think we just got in way over our heads and neither of us was happy. I think it'll take more convincing until he believes that. I don't want to sound like I feel I'm above Philip, but I feel like I've outgrown him."

    "Where does Brady fit in?"

    "He's the most amazing man I've ever met. No one's ever known me as well. Actually, I never let anyone know me that well. He's the first person I've really let in."

    "I think you have the answer to the question I asked you a few minutes ago."

    "What?"

    "I asked if you're in love with him and I think you have your answer."

    Before Chloe could respond, Brady came to the table.

    "Can we talk, Chloe?"

    "Yeah," she stood up and smiled at Greta before walking off with Brady. They stopped in the hallway towards more rooms. "What did you find out?"

    "Nothing. I'm surprised these teachers teach anything. But I can't sit here. I have to go to that island. I can't just sit and wait."

    "Brady, there's a hurricane out there," she warned.

    "Chloe, I can't sit here and do nothing for Belle," he pleaded with her.

    "I'm going with you," she stated.

    "I'm not letting you put yourself in that much danger," he inched closer to her.

    "She's my best friend, Brady," she said in an almost whisper.

    "Chloe, remember when I told you how I feared losing Belle after my mom dying and all?"

    "Yes?"

    "Well, you're just as important to me. I don't want to lose you either. You mean too much to risk," he placed his hand on her cheek. She closed her eyes, reveling in his touch. His face was inches from hers. He leaned in, his lips lightly brushing hers. She tasted like something he couldn't put his finger on, but it was comforting.

    Not backing away, she looked up at him, "Brady, the best way to make sure I'm safe is to let me come with you. You know you can't change my mind."

    He knew it, secretly he wanted her to come with him.

    "Fine, but don't leave my side."

    She reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him.

    They were interrupted by someone clearing their throat. They looked and saw Mimi standing there, looking angry.

    "So, that's what you were doing while we were away? Making time with Philip's nephew, Belle's brother."

    "Mimi, that's none of your business. But we need your help," Brady told her.

    They found themselves in Brady's room with a map.

    "What island were you guys on?" Brady pointed to the area on the map.

    "I'm not sure."

    "Mimi, it's very important you remember which island," Brady prompted her.

    "Okay, okay," she looked over the map, looked insecurely at Brady and Chloe, and finally pointed out an island not far from where they were. "This one."

    "You're sure?"

    "Mimi, if you're wrong-"

    "I'm sure, I'm sure," she said.

    Brady and Chloe exchanged glances.

    "Thanks, Mimi," Brady said.

    "Why do you want to know which island?"

    "It's nothing, Mimi."

    "Fine, I know I'll never get it out of you, Brady. Especially with her standing there. But I think I know, and I'm only allowing this because it's Belle out there. I'm going to go find Kevin," Mimi left the room.

    "Pack a few things together, I'm going to call for a boat," Brady told her, sitting down with the phone.

    She went into her room and no sooner did she get a few things in a backpack, there was a knock on the door.

    "Greta, what are you doing here?"

    "I wanted to see if you and Brady had talked."

    "Sort of, but it really isn't a good time. He's, um, he's, um, going to be here any minute so we can talk."

    "Oh, I'll go then."

    "Okay, I'll see you later." Greta turned to leave. "Greta, thanks a lot."

    "No problem," she said leaving.

    When she was gone Chloe breathed a sigh of relief, but that was soon interrupted as there was another knock. She opened it to find Brady, with a backpack.

    "Ready?"

    "As I'll ever be," she said locking the door behind them.

    The storm had let up slightly as they walked along the streets.

    "So, you found a boat," Chloe said.

    "Not exactly."

    "Brady, what does not exactly mean?"

    "It means no one would rent me a boat. So I had to find an alternative mode of transportation."

    "What's that?"

    "These," he said pointing. They reached the docks and were looking down at the water to see two jet skis.

    "Brady, are you crazy?"

    "Yes," he answered. "There are wetsuits in the shed there. You can change first."

    She looked at him for a moment, then turned to change. Once they were both ready they headed in the direction Mimi had pointed them to.

| Part Two |

morganrosella@hotmail.com

This site is Copyright © 2001. It is in no way whatsoever affiliated with Kyle Lowder, Nadia Bjorlin, Days of Our Lives, or NBC. It is meant for pure entertainment.