Falling for the First Time

    Disclaimer: All belongs to Ken, Tom, NBC, and Sony.

    Author's Notes: I have decided Princess Greta needs a life and if they aren't going to give her one on the show, than I will do it. Okay, Jennifer and Brandon only went out a few times, then decided to be friends. Abby has been aged to seventeen to fit in with the rest of the Dot Com kids. John is Greta's father. Abby had a big drug problem, but she's been clean for about a month. She's rebellious. Everyone knows that J.T. and Isaac were switched and that J.T. is John's son. And, although there are four guys here, the main focus is Greta and one man. The others are just there to help her along.

    Summary: Greta has four men after her.

    *****

    Greta Von Amburg knocked on the door of the Deveraux house. The door was promptly answered by a haggard and tired looking Jennifer.

    "Jennifer, what's wrong?"

    "What's always wrong?"

    "I'm sorry, I'll come back later," Greta began to excuse herself.

    "Princess, please, come in," Jack greeted her.

    "Jack, I really don't think this is a good time," Greta told him.

    "Nonsense," he said dragging her in. She stumbled into the living room to find Alice Horton sitting in her chair.

    "Hello, Mrs. Horton," Greta greeted her.

    "Greta, what a wonderful surprise," Alice smiled warmly.

    "I just get the feeling I'm interrupting something."

    "Jack proposed again," Jennifer told Greta.

    Greta was tired of this, "Jack, you have to stop with this charade. I've tried to be your friend through this, but you keep putting up roadblocks and no one is going to be happy until you're honest with yourself."

    "Greta, what are you talking about?" Jennifer had her hands on her hips.

    "Tell her, Jack. Or I will," Greta threatened.

    "Now, now, Princess. Let's not do anything we might regret at a later time."

    "Jack...," she warned.

    "Greta," he began.

    She was furious with him. "Jack, you need to tell Jennifer that you're gay so that you cann all move on with your lives," she yelled.

    Jack ushered Greta into another room.

    "Jack, I'm so sorry, I know you needed to tell them yourself."

    "Greta, you know I'd never want to intentionally hurt you, right?"

    "Jack, what's going on?"

    "Well, see, the thing is, is that Jennifer told me you were falling in love with me, so I didn't want to hurt you. Because I love Jennifer and you're the best friend I've ever had."

    "Jack, what are you telling me?"

    "I'm, well, see, I'm, it's just that I didn't want to hurt you."

    "Jack..."

    "I'm not gay. I told you so that I wouldn't hurt you because you were falling for me. Princess, I didn't want you to get hurt."

    "You did, Jack," she said running out of the house, tears streaming down her face.

    "Jack, why does Greta think you're gay?" Jennifer's hands were still placed angrily on her hips.

    "I told her that?"

    "Jack.."

    "Well, you said she was falling in love with me so I had to tell her something so she'd stop being interested in me."

    "How could you do that to her?"

    "I didn't want to hurt her."

    "You did anyway. When are you going to learn that you can't lie your way out of things?"

    That said Jennifer grabbed her purse and coat and left after saying goodbye to Gran.

    She walked through Salem Place and found herself at the park, seeing Greta on th bench, deep in thought.

    "Greta?"

    Greta was startled from her reverie. "What? Oh, Jennifer."

    "I'm sorry."

    "For what?"

    "For Jack. I was the one who told him you were falling for him, and then..."

    "Well, it worked, I'm not falling for him anymore."

    "I'm so sorry, Greta."

    "You have nothing to be sorry about. Jack's the one who lied. He's just joined the long line of men who have lied to me," she said, forlornly.

    "Greta, if you want to talk to someone to talk to..."

    "I think I'd just like to go home. Thanks, Jennifer," Greta said, leaving, shuffling her way through the snow.

    Reaching her apartment, Greta leaned against the door and sighed, a single tear falling down her cheek. Deciding not to sit and cry she took off her coat, set her purse down, and poured herself a glass of wine when there was a knock on the door.

    Wine glass in hand she looked through the peephole, seeing a familiar face she once again sighed, before she opened the door.

    "A little early to be drinking, isn't it, Princess?"

    "I've had a rough day."

    "I heard."

    "How?"

    "I saw you and Jennifer talking in the park and I overheard what Jack did."

    "Yeah, turns out my friend is not gay. Guess I should have tried to set him up on a date."

    "You didn't?"

    "Oh yeah. Come on in." He did and they sat on the sofa, her with her legs tucked underneath herself, as she liked to sit.

    "You were just trying to be helpful."

    "Boy did it backfire. Jack is just another man to add to my list of disappointments and lies."

    "Princess, don't feel sorry for yourself, or pity yourself. Any man who treats you poorly, or lies to you, doesn't deserve your attention. Don't beat yourself up about it. If they don't see you for the beautiful person you are, inside and out, then you don't need to be around them."

    ‘You probably don't think I should be getting drunk over this, do you?"

    "Well, no. But that isn't my place. However, a little drink never hurt anyone. For the most part. Everyone drinks wine in Europe. At least it isn't scotch."

    She laughed, finally smiling.

    "See, you're feeling better already."

    "Is that why you came here? To make me feel better?"

    "Yes, actually it is the reason I dropped by."

    "I suppose in a few weeks I'll be laughing about this. And Jack did have my best interest at heart. I know he didn't want to hurt me, he'd never want that. I just hate being lied to."

    "I know, I know. How about I help you take your mind off of things."

    "What do you have in mind?"

    "A little dinner, a little dancing, how about it? I'll pick you up at six tonight. Not necessarily a date. Just two friends having a good time. It'll be fun."

    She scrunched up her nose and scratched the back of her head, thinking.

    "Come on," he prodded. "You know you'll have fun."

    "Okay, okay. You can pick me up at six."

    "I'll get going then. I have some stuff to do with work first," he said, standing up and reaching for the door. She'd followed him and was holding the door open. "I'll see you at six, Princess."

    "I'll see you at six, Brandon."

    He was back, promptly at six. Dressed in a midnight blue silk shirt, black dress pants, and black dress shoes, his wool coat left unbuttoned. He knocked on her door.

    "Just a minute, Brandon. I'm just missing a shoe," she yelled from the other side. Within moments she opened the door in a dress that matched the red wine she'd had earlier. It reached mid thigh, was strapless, not cut too low. He hair was curled and brought up by a single clip, and her black thigh high boots made her quite a bit taller. Brandon whistled when he saw her.

    "Greta, I think every man in the place is going to be trying to take my place tonight. You look amazing."

    "You don't look so bad yourself. I can't believe it started snowing again, though. The news said it was supposed to stop."

    "Yeah, it's pretty cold out there," he agreed.

    She put her coat on and grabbed her purse. "Ready?"

    "Let's roll," he held his arm out for her, which she accepted.

    They reached the Blue Note and got themselves a table. Through dinner they talked and talked about their childhoods, whatever came to mind. Brandon found it surprisingly easy to tell Greta all about his father and what had gone on in his life. He knew she would be there to listen and understand. She, in turn, told him about her past in the swamp and about Eric and Austin both leaving her. On the subject of Austin, Brandon understood exactly what Greta was talking about.

    "If it makes you feel better, I think they are one of the most unsuited couples I have ever seen. Along with my sister and Eric Brady."

    "It's just that Austin and I had become so close in Paris and then we get back to Salem and it's like I don't even exist to him, unless I run into him on the street. It's like Sami has caused him to not pay attention to any of his friends."

    "Yeah, but there's something more between the two of you. I honestly think that Austin feels obligated to Samantha. They've known each other for so long. When you were shot, I only saw you for a minute, I was occupied at the time, but I saw how worried he was for you."

    "You know, I'm out with you, Brandon. Let's not talk about other men."

    "Agreed. How about we dance?"

    "I would love to."

    They stood and were about to hit the dance floor when the music changed to a robust Salsa song.

    "What in the world?" Greta looked around, slightly confused.

    "Well, this is...different, for the Blue Note. Tell me, Princess, have you ever Salsa danced?"

    "Once, in Spain. Quite a while ago."

    "Well, that's the best place the learn. Let's get out there."

    They did, and they danced up a storm and drawing the attention of the people in the Blue Note.

    Brandon stood at Greta's door, dropping her off.

    "I had a great time, Greta. I hope I could take your mind off everything."

    "You did, I had great time, too."

    "Do you want to meet me at the hospital for lunch tomorrow?" He noticed the look she was giving him. "Not to eat hospital food. We'll go to the Java Café."

    "That sounds great, I'll meet you at the hospital at noon?"

    "I'll see you then," he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.

    They did meet for lunch, and had a great time.

    In the afternoon Greta was visiting Mrs. Horton again.

    "So, dear, tell me all about your night with Brandon Walker."

    "Actually, we had lunch today too."

    "Is this turning into something?"

    "No, no. I don't think so. He's just a friend. He wanted to help me clear my mind of the Jack problem yesterday. So, he took me out dancing and then we had lunch today."

    Their conversation was interrupted by the door bell ringing.

    "I'll get it," Greta offered. She opened the door to find Abby standing there in her big wool coat. Abby certainly had grown up. She had bright, Christmas red streaks in her hair, five earrings in one ear, six in the other, and what could not be seen were the two tattoos and the belly button ring. Although the main growing up came with the fact that Abby had been off of every kind of drug she could find for only a month. This current afternoon she was supposed to be at drama club, which Jack and Jennifer had made her sign up for to keep her out of trouble after school. They knew she was trying, everyone did. They just wanted to keep her away from the temptation. She'd only been back at school for two days now. "Abby, what are you doing here? I thought you had drama?"

    "I did. I didn't think you would be here. I thought Gran would be by herself."

    "Greta, who's there?"

    Abby walked past her and took her school bag off of her shoulder and set it by the door, walking into the living room where Alice was sitting in her chair.

    "Abigail, you're supposed to be at drama."

    "I know, Gran, I know. I went for two days and I know it's only my third day back at school, but I hate drama. I tried to give it a chance, but I hate it. And I know my parents want me to do something productive after school so I don't get in trouble, so I figured I would come and hang out with you."

    "You want to spend your afternoon's spending time with me for four hours a day?"

    "Yes."

    "Doing what, dear?"

    "I don't know. Some days I could just get my homework done. Most days I get it done in study hall, though."

    "Call your parents and let them know you're here."

    "Gran, I just sort of want to stay here without them knowing. Just for a little while. I promise I will tell them, eventually. I'd just like some time where they don't ask me how I'm doing, or what I'm doing. If I'm here, then they think they know. Does that make sense?"

    "Perfect sense," Greta said. "I'll get going and let you two visit."

    "No, no, stay," Abby offered.

    "Are you sure?"

    "Stay, Greta. You didn't finish telling me about your night with Brandon," Alice smiled.

    "I'm not going to say anything to your parents, Abby," Greta smiled warmly.

    "Thank you. I'm sorry about my dad. He and my mom were arguing about it last night. So, what about you and Brandon Walker?"

    "It's nothing, it's nothing."

    "Greta, this is Brandon Walker we are talking about. He's hot."

    "Abigail," Alice laughed.

    "Gran, come on. You've seen Brandon. So, Greta, what did you two do?"

    "We just went to the Blue Note and danced some and he took me home."

    "That's all?"

    "We're just friends, Abby. Nothing more. We had fun together."

    "Maybe that's what you need?"

    "What do you mean?"

    "Maybe you need a little fun. I mean, I know people sometimes find my dad funny. But that's not the kind of fun you need. You need to let your hair down and have a good time. Let's just put it this way. Not much in Salem stays a secret long. I know about Eric and I know about Austin, and I really know about my dad. I think you should go out with him again."

    "Abigail."

    "Gran, come on, this doesn't have to lead to anything serious. They can go out as friends."

    "I think you're right, Abby. I think that spending time with Brandon just may be what I need," Greta agreed.

    She did just that, she went out with Brandon a few days each week for three weeks straight. He'd come to her apartment one night, just for a visit. Sitting on the couch they were laughing and having a great time when things turned slightly serious.

    "Brandon, what are we to each other?"

    "Well, we're friends."

    "Friend who go out and have a great time together."

    "Exactly. You're one of the best friends I've had. I can tell you anything. You know you're the first person I told about my father who didn't look at me like I was a terrible person because I was glad he's gone."

    "Well, I just got my father, not too long ago. But how can I hold it against you for not wanting someone around who hits you and was terrible to your growing up."

    "See, that's what I mean. You're my friend, you accept whatever I had."

    "Do you think that our friendship is turning into something more, Brandon?"

    "Honestly?"

    She nodded.

    "No. Greta, you are quite possibly the most beautiful person I have ever been around. You're the type of person everyone would like to be. Kind, smart, sweet. Not to mention that you are beautiful on the outside as well. But I enjoy you too much as a friend. And there's still Sami."

    "I was hoping you'd say that."

    "You were?"

    "Yes. Well, Brandon, don't get me wrong. Any girl would be lucky to have you. I'm just not her. And Colin Murphy asked me to dinner at Tuscany on Friday night."

    "And you want to say yes?"

    "I just wanted to check with you first."

    "I think that you and the doctor would have a great time together. I think you should go."

    "Really?"

    "Yeah. But you're still having lunch with me Friday, right?"

    "Of course, Brandon," she smiled sweetly.

    Friday came and Greta was at Alice Horton's house, just as she was Monday through Friday for when Abby came in after school. For three weeks the three of them hung out for four hours everyday. They talked, did whatever. Each of them enjoyed themselves, unbeknownst to basically anyone else.

    That Friday Greta was sitting across from Alice, who was in her usual chair, when Abby opened the door, threw her bag down quickly, and ran into the room before taking her coat, gloves, and scarf off.

    "Oh my God, you won't believe what I saw this morning on my way to school," she said, removing her gloves.

    "What did you see, Abigail. And, please, calm down," Alice asked.

    "Well," she said removing her coat, and then scarf, "I was walking by Dot Com this morning on my way to school and I overheard two of the employees outside talking. One of them said, that the owner was planning on selling it and they were worried about their jobs."

    "So, why does this have you so excited, Abby?"

    "Well, Greta, I'm glad you asked. You remember about a week ago when you were telling us you'd like to find something to do? Like a job?"

    "Yeah...you're starting to sound a lot like Jack."

    "But I'm not asking to go in this with you, I'm not looking for a job. I'm just trying to help you."

    "How's that?"

    "You can buy Dot Com. The place is a gold mine. It's always crowded and I know for a fact that the empty building attached it is big enough for something even bigger."

    "What are you talking about, what building behind Dot Com?" Greta was getting interested in this.

    "Well, there's this big building attached to the back of Dot Com. The current owner uses it for storage, even though Dot Com's basement is big enough for that."

    "So, what would I be using this big building for?"

    "A night club."

    "A night club?"

    "Yeah. There's not place like that in Salem. The biggest night spots are Tuscany and the Blue Note. None of which people my age can come to and dance and whatever. It's a gold mine, Greta. Just sitting there waiting for some one to come and pick it up."

    "That's actually not a bad idea. But I don't know anything about running a club, Abby."

    "How hard can it be? You won't know until you try."

    "It might be a good idea to take a look at it."

    "Let's go," Abby started putting her coat, scarf, and gloves back on.

    "Now?" Greta stood.

    "Yes, now. Come on, Gran. It'll be fun."

    "I think this is a wonderful idea," Alice said. They all stood and went towards Dot Com.

    When they arrived there were only a few people there.

    "It's normally a lot more crowded," Abby sighed.

    Philip was walking out of Dot Com and noticed Abby standing there.

    "Abby the Addict," he insulted her.

    "Pansy Boy," she shot back.

    He walked away, angry.

    "Abigail, that wasn't very nice," Alice scolded.

    "You heard what he said to me. It was in defense."

    "So, I guess we should ask if the owner is here," Greta thought.

    They found the owner and he showed them around. The building was large. It had three stories, a basement, the main, floor, and an upper area that was basically a very large balcony. Greta liked the look of it and she knew Abby was right. It would make an excellent night club. While talking with the owner about buying it, Abby looked at her watch.

    "Greta, I have to get home," she said.

    "You can walk with me, Abigail," Alice said.

    "I'll see you tomorrow, Greta."

    "Tomorrow? Tomorrow's Saturday."

    "J.T.'s party," Abby reminded her.

    "Oh, that's right. I'll see you there."

    By the time Greta had to go get ready for her date, she had purchased Dot Com.

| Part Two |

morganrosella@hotmail.com

This site is Copyright © 2001. It is in no way whatsoever affiliated with Kyle Lowder, Nadia Bjorlin, Days of Our Lives, or NBC. It is meant for pure entertainment.